Burgage House was built in 1770 by Rev Edward Vigors whose family were of French Huguenot extraction. He was educated in Trinity College, Dublin and became Curate of Old Leighlin Cathedral in 1773 until his death aged 50 in 1797. Burgage is a three bay two-storey over part-raised basement with dormer attic. The house was extended to the rear in 1800 which included the bow-windowed Drawing Room. The interior of Burgage retains many original features including lugged architraves, timber panelled doors, cornices, timber staircases and the stained glass coat of arms of the Vigors family that originally lived in the house.
The Vigors family pursued careers in the Church, Army and Colonial service. Their history is interesting and sometimes colourful. In 1880 and 1881 two sisters were born at Burgage and they in turn became the mothers of Sir Wilfred Thesiger, famous explorer and writer who is best known for his travelogue, Arabian Sands. His first cousin was Stephen Ward, an osteopath, was a central figure in the 1963 Profumo affair which eventually brought down the Conservative government. The bow window in the Burgage Drawing Room with it’s view over the River Barrow with Mount Leinster in the distance, is reputed to be the inspiration for the famous hymn “All Things Bright and Beautiful” written by Fanny Alexander during a visit to the house in the summer of 1848. Situated on the lands at Burgage is the Dinn Right, an ancient and massive man made moat on top of which was a wooden fortress where the Kings of Leinster held court.Today it is a protected structure.